1824- Amidst the devastation following the French Revolution, a
group of 12 women, led by the Spirit, came together to form the
congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, French for "good help".
The sisters left behind the security of their cloister to nurse the
sick and dying in their homes. Their purpose then and NOW-to bring
the Gospel message that there is a God who loves us.
1881, the congregation was invited to the Archdiocese of Baltimore
and crossed the Atlantic to establish a health care ministry in
Baltimore, Maryland. By 1909, convents were established in
Washington, D.C. and in Detroit, Michigan.
The Sisters of Bon Secours provided the world's first recorded
formal home health care service as well as the first day care
facility in Baltimore in 1907 to help working mothers whose only
alternative was to place their children in orphanages. St. Edmond's
Home for Crippled Children, established in 1916, was the first
Catholic home for the physically challenged.
The Sisters have a long tradition of willingness to take risks in
pursuit of innovation, growth and extension of mission.
The Sisters of Bon Secours established their first hospital in
Baltimore in 1919 and opened their second, in Grosse Pointe,
Michigan, in 1945. By 1980, the Sisters had established and/or
managed several Catholic hospitals, long-term care facilities and
other health care services.
The Bon Secours Health System was formed in 1983 to provide skilled,
unified management and professional resources for all Bon Secours
health care operations while preserving Jesus' healing mission and
Bon Secours' tradition of providing quality care to all, especially
the poor, sick and dying.
Learn more about the history of the Sisters of Bon Secours by
Archives, a repository for material relevant to the
Sisters of Bon Secours in the United States, dating from 1881 to the
present. We also now have
A Century of Caring 1881 - 1981 available from our Archives