On January 24, 1824, this group of 12 women professed their vows in the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin in the Church of St. Sulpice. Hyacinthe Louis de Quélen, Archbishop of Paris, presided and named them the Sisters of Bon Secours of Paris. They quickly gained recognition for caring for the sick and the dying in their homes.
Upon official recognition by the Church, the sisters moved from a small apartment on Rue de Cassette to a house on Rue Notre Dame de Champs where they still live. Under Mother Potel’s guidance, the group expanded their reach to other cities in France and continued to care for patients and families in their homes – a radical act during a time when Catholic nuns were expected to stay in their convents.
On May 6, 1826, Mother Potel passed away. She was buried in the cemetery at Montparnasse on May 9, and Sr. Marie Angélique Geay was named Superior General of the Sisters of Bon Secours of Paris. She remained in that position until 1860.